Questions & Answers
Player Comments, Questions, Suggestions, Tips, etc.
Send comments, questions, criticisms, ideas, thoughts or whatever to us via electronic mail. SEND EMAIL
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
1) Must each "I" fire and morale check be done separately or are all "I" fires against a BLP concluded and then all morale checks done ie allowing a greater number of hit modifiers to be accumulated?
Each "I" (Infantry) fire is resolved separately and completely before moving on to the next firing unit, therefore hit modifiers do not accumulate.
2) May long range hits in the Reserve be assigned to a Dummy thereby revealing and removing it or must it be assigned to an actual unit?
Yes, unless Gun Boats are targetting specific revealed Shore Batteries
3) Can Union forces move from Hard Times to Bruinsburg without undergoing interdiction fire from Grand Gulf?
No. Grand Gulf batteries are assumed to cover that whole river region.
4) One cavalry unit (Bussy) has no corps affiliation; may he be commanded by Grant's AoT HQ only?
Yes, or by Initiative Movement
5) Can units force march away from a battle? The rules are clear that a force march cannot enter an enemy occupied town, but are silent about leaving such a town.
No. The rules on road movement state that if enemy units enter an occupied town a battle will occur in the Battle Phase. This implies that defending units may not leave the town (other than by retreat once the battle begins).
6) May gunboats that transport / ferry units to an unoccupied eastbank port 'retreat' to a friendly port? The rules are clear that a GB may 'retreat' from an amphibious assault, and it seems logical to be allowed to do the same from what is essentially an unopposed amphibious assault.
Absolutely not. This is a key element of the game; managing your gunboats for transport of supplies. By the same logic, gun boats can not ferry supplies to a controlled port (friendly) and retreat back to their origin to get more supplies.
7) Do GBs attacking a port without land units aboard to conduct a landing keep CSA ground units in that port from being able to reinforce an adjacent battle?
8) If a CSA force attacks a USA force (including GBs) in a port creating a land battle, not an amphibious assault, may the GBs be set up in the reserve and fire H fire during the battle (as at Shiloh & Malvern Hill)?
Yes, although technically it is still considered N-Fire, it's just treated the same as H-Fire.
9) Can more then 1 unit move from the Reserve area on the battle board to
the same space?
10) Can Cavalry retreat or move into an un-supplied state?
11) Can a unit in Reserve be targetted by fire or assault?
12) If opponent takes one of your BLPs (Left or Right), could your center BLP take his BLP? I guess so and then you would each be giving 'Flank' fire to the other. However, the Flank Fire rule says from an enemy BLP into another enemy BLP but technically you would be firing from an enemy BLP into your
13) Morale check for Assault Move; if the modified roll = 6, I assume you do not take a loss but instead you cannot Assault.
14) Do you have to designate all units that will attempt a force march before rolling for any, or can you wait to see the outcome of an attempt
before designating other units for force marching?
15) When Units are making a Morale check for attempting an Assault Move, is the condition of "(P10 Morale Check Modifiers)...enemy melee CV strength is greater than twice the total friendly CV strength in the checking unit's BLP: +1" in effect?
16) "Cavalry target receiving hit(s) from Inf OR HQ units get -1". Since hits from an HQ cause automatic Disruption and don't produce a Morale Check why is that mentioned?
17) When making an Assault move, do you have to declare all units which are to attempt an Assault move before moving any, or do you see what happens with one unit attempting an Assault move before declaring that you want to move additional units (This is important for an 'Encirclement' move because if the first unit 'passes' a Morale check, why would you move additional units, since if the other BLP 'Encirclement' move failed, only that one unit in the opponent's reserve would be disrupted (rather than additional units also).
18) The rules say that No unit can Fire and then Move in the same turn. Knowing that: Is Retreat considered Movement?
19) I know they are only 'Practice' scenarios, but:
Who moves first in the 'Champion Hill' and the 'Grand Gulf' Scenarios?
20) To confirm, are two dummy blocks that are Confederate reinforcements?
21) A. When going from Briarfield to Hard Times is there fire from the Grand Gulf SB?
B. When going from New Carthage to Briarfield is there fire from the Grand Gulf SB or the
C. When going from Warrenton to New Carthage is there fire from the Grand Gulf SB?
D. When going from Milliken's Bend to Johnson's Plantation is there fire from the
Vicksburg SB or the Warrenton SB?
22) A. Assume Union units are in a port with Gunboats and Confederate units attack them-
from the FAQ the Union GBs cannot defend, but what if the Union has to retreat-what
happens to the GBs?
B. Assume Confederate units are in a port with SBs and Union units attack them BY LAND-
from the FAQ the Confederate SBs cannot defend, but what if the Confederate has to
retreat-what happens to the SBs? I assume the crews are absorbed by the Vicksburg Militia
23) Must GBs designate where fire is going before rolling for any?
24) Can Units that retreat from one battle reinforce a different battle?
25) The rules say that if the Confederate center BLP is unoccupied at any time after the
first Battle Round it is a rout but:
26) Can commanded movement use units in adjacent ports ex: New Carthage/Briarfield?
(My assumption: The rules say that only ONE of the port groups could do a River transport
(Page 6-...All units being transported must start the Movement Phase in the same port town
regardless of which...) and the other port's group could do a land move.)
27) Can you for ex: River Transport Land units from Milliken's Bend to Warrenton (Amphib.
attack) and then do another River Transport of Land units from New Carthage to Warrenton
(Amphib. attack) and then both of those groups would make a 'combined' Amphib. attack.
28) Land units and GBs begin in Milliken's Bend: Using an Initiative Move, could they send
Flotillas to another port and ALSO send units by swamp road to Richmond or New Carthage
(if they could move 2 towns)?
29) When leaving a port, do GBs have to specify their destination before beginning the
move or can they change the destination 'as they go'?
30) Page 7 and Page 14 of the Rules mentions that GBs carrying land troops get a -1 DRM
when they fire. P7 Fire against Vicksburg also gets a -1 DRM. Are these two -1 DRMs cummlative (if they
were cummlative, it would be impossible for a GB to get a hit since they are all N5)?
In the example booklet for the first example, it does NOT mention the -1 that GBs carrying
land troops incur (It DOES mention the -1 drm that fire against Vicksburg gets).
In the example of an Amphibious Assault it DOES mention the -1 that GBs carrying land
31) The example booklet mentions that a flotilla without a GB that gets a hit can either
take the hit or retreat-I can't find that situation mentioned in the rulebook (See Page 6
next to last Paragraph).
copyright 1995, G. Myers, all rights reserved - however read the